What to Expect
What to Expect
- Pre-license Courses
- State License Examination
- Proving Legal Residency
- Finding a Broker
Keep in Mind
- Quality of Broker
- How Much You Expect to Make
- Amount of Hours You’re Willing to Work
- Market Trends for The Area
- Having Required Information Ready
Attempting to become a real estate agent without knowing where to begin and how to properly go about the process can lead to wasted time and unwarranted stress. Here are some things you should expect and keep in mind when getting involved in real estate.
Steps to Take
- Research/Prepare – Spend some time doing research about real estate in your area and decide if this is what you want to do. Find information about what qualifications are required to become a real estate agent in your state and any other things that may apply. Procedures and guidelines for obtaining your real estate license may differ from state to state. Be sure to go to your state’s real estate commission website for all the official requirements.
- Pre-license Education – After you’ve done your research and you meet all the basic qualifications begin taking your pre-license courses. These courses will teach you about different aspects of real estate. Everything from what your responsibilities are as an agent to learning how to properly sell a property. These courses are required before being able to take your exam.
- Apply and Take Your Exam – Now that you’ve completed the pre-license courses you can apply to take the exam. Once your application is accepted, any necessary paperwork is filled out, and any fees are dealt with, you are able to take the exam.
- Find a Broker – Once you have passed your exam you are licensed to practice with the sponsorship of a broker. This means that you have to find a real estate broker you wish to associate yourself. Every broker has its different qualities and it’s important to find the one that best suits you. Then you and your broker fill out the final paperwork with the state and you are officially an acting real estate agent.
- Sell – Now that you’re a licensed agent it’s time to get out there and sell. Not only are you selling houses to people, but you’re selling yourself. Make people want to enlist your help. Once you are able to do that you will see start to see your work pay off as real estate really is an industry that you get out of it what you put into it.